Reiko Nagata, Japan

Go down

Reiko Nagata, Japan  Empty Reiko Nagata, Japan

Post by NaomiM March 22nd 2023, 7:59 pm

Japanese stem cup by Reiko Nagata

Reiko Nagata, Japan  Img_2510

Reiko Nagata, Japan  Img_2511 Reiko Nagata, Japan  Img_2513 Reiko Nagata, Japan  Img_2512

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31592
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Reiko Nagata, Japan  Empty Re: Reiko Nagata, Japan

Post by NaomiM March 23rd 2023, 1:36 pm

I can't find an English language bio of Reiko Nagata but her work is highly thought of.

There is a biobliographic reference in a paper called “The Marriage of East and West”: Bernard Leach as a Cultural Pilgrim:
Reiko Nagata, “Seimei-no Ki”, Sekai Shuykyo Dai-jiten, supervised by Tetsuo Yamaori, Tokyo: Heibon-sha, 1991

She was part of a team of Japanese-based potters who held a potting course at Kigbeare in Devon in 2013:

Japanese Master Classes at Kigbeare by Ros McGuirk in the Dacorum and Chiltern Potters Guild magazine, Issue 10, 2013

The three day course was taught by three potters from Japan, Peter Seabridge, Reiko Nagata and Masahiro Kumagae. Their aim was to demonstrate their skills and help us make certain forms. Peter showed us his way of throwing pots with such prominent throwing rings that they start to spiral off centre. Reiko taught decorative brushwork and how to build up patterns on tiles and vases that were prepared [to her designs] especially for the course. Kuma taught us his unique ways of making and working with slabs....
One afternoon Reiko and Kuma performed the tea ceremony using a tent as a makeshift tea house. Neither of them speaks English, but they gave us a great deal through their enthusiasm and generosity.
I thoroughly enjoyed the three days I spent at Kigbeare.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31592
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum